`Freecycle networking connects people from all over the world. It’s a grassroots and nonprofit effort in which people give and receive merchandise for free.
Some say it’s all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by area volunteers.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS
There are thousands of locally run, grassroots freecycling groups worldwide. Once you join a local group or start one, posts can be created for items to give away. Here’s how to advertise an item:
• First, you need something to scrap, such as a bike.
• Instead of throwing it away, do an online search and join a local freecycling group. Access a website, such as www.trashnothing.com, to conduct a search.
• Create a new “offer” post that is sent to the group and seen by all of the group members. SAMPLE OFFER: Mountain bike (in Massillon) I have an old blue mountain bike available. It could use some oil and the tires are a bit worn but it’s a great starter bike.
• Group members interested in your bike will contact you privately.
• You choose which person you would like to give the bike to.
• Between you and the selected recipient, a time and place are arranged for picking up the bike.
• The bike is picked up, and you let everyone in your network know that the bike is no longer available by sending a “taken” post.